The course combines grounding in the field of life sciences (molecular biology, biochemistry, enzymology and microbiology) and in engineering sciences (biochemical engineering). The objectives of the proposed courses deal with the understanding of the most modern concepts in molecular biology as well as mastering the concepts of biocatalysis (enzymatic and microbial) for industrial developments.
Course 1 : to give basic knowledge concerning the measurement of the enzymatic reaction rate and the associated mechanisms, to establish the rate equations of complex enzymatic reactions
Course 2 : students will be able to explain the main concepts regarding nucleic acids, DNA replication, every step of the gene expression process. Students will be able to define and describe the main molecular elements allowing genome organization and gene expression regulation.
Course 3 : overview and basic knowledge of microorganisms interests and applications.
Course 4 : to understand and to implement biological reactions.
COURSE 1 – ENZYME KINETICS
- Enzyme classification, reaction mechanism, initial reaction rate/enzymatic activity,
- Michaelis-Menten equation, Inhibition/activation,
- Effect of temperature and pH,
- Allosteric enzymes.
COURSE 2 – GENE EXPRESSION REGULATION
The aim of this course is to provide the knowledge in molecular biology and gene regulation that is required to master biotechnology tools for optimizing and/or modifying microorganism of industrial interest.
- Nucleic acids properties, genome organization and DNA replication
- Gene transcription, RNA processing and messenger RNA translation leading from DNA to proteins.
- Proteins folding and modifications will also be briefly described and key elements of gene expression regulation will also be given
COURSE 3 – BASIS IN MICROBIOLOGY
The main topics of this part are the followings:
- Description of some well-kown microorganismas
- Usual methods for microbial identification (microscopy and biochemical technics)
- Examples of applications
- Documentary project.
COURSE 4 – BIOCHEMICAL ENGINEERING
The main topics regarding these courses are :
- Metabolism of industrial microbes
- Microbial kinetics
- Biochemical engineering.
Structural biochemistry, general microbiology.